Finding The Best Messenger Bag for Men
There are many quality messenger bags for men on the market today, so how do you find the best? I am sharing reviews of the top 5 best men’s messenger bags here with you, so you can make an informed decision before making your purchase.
The messenger bag is fashioned from the bags that bicycle messengers often carry. They tend to become even cooler as they age and get beat up. Sort of like your favorite t-shirt or blue jeans.
Many men enjoy using messenger bags for collectible buttons and pins, patches and other embellishments, too. Of course you’re probably not going to want to do that to quality leather messenger bags, but you can easily embellish the more casual styles made of canvas and other fabrics.
A Buyer’s Guide for Men’s Messenger Bags
What Type of Messenger Bag Will Work For You?
- Leather. Leather messenger bags are popular choices for the business professional, as well as the college student. Leather will last you for many years, and it looks sleek and stylish, too. There are many styles of leather messenger bags available, so decide what features you want and go from there. Do you want interior and exterior pockets, or a divided interior? What color leather do you prefer? And so on. Who might like leather messenger bags? Professional businessmen, college students and men who appreciate quality bags and style.
- Laptop. Laptop messenger bags will hold your electronic devices, as well as other necessities for work and school. These are typically a bit larger than a regular messenger bag, and offer ample interior room to hold your laptop, notebook and other items. These are available in leather and man made materials. Who might like laptop messenger bags? Anyone who needs to use a laptop on a regular basis. Students, professionals and more.
- Canvas/Fabric. Canvas/fabric messenger bags are very popular with high school and college students. You can also easily use this style for the gym and more casual use. These might not be the best option for a professional business man, but they work well for many others, and you can fling them around without worrying about ruining them. Who might like canvas/fabric messenger bags? Students, athletes, sportsmen, hikers, and other active men.
Reviews of the Top 5 Best Men’s Messenger Bags
Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bag
The Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bag 2014 is available in sizes XS, S, M and L. You have nearly a dozen color options to choose from, too, so no matter what your taste is, or what you need a messenger bag for, this one offers you many choices.
It’s made of a quality textile fabric that is durable and will wear well for many years, and it features 44.5” shoulder straps, two exterior pockets and an exterior multifunction pocket, as well as five interior multifunction pockets. This lightweight fabric is also waterproof, so no need to worry about getting it wet. This one only features the shoulder strap, though, and doesn’t offer a short handle, but that does not take away from this bag at all.
You can carry everything from your cellphone and water bottle, to your laptop and sneakers. This classic bag is functional and stylish. Everyone from students to professionals are going to appreciate this messenger bag.
The simple design and style is understated and refreshing. You’ll be proud to carry this bag with you everywhere you go. Never again be without the things that are important to you. Keep them organized and in one place with this classic messenger bag.
You’ll be happy to know that this bag has a 5 out of 5 star rating from happy customers, too!
Click For Pricing and Product Reviews
Kenneth Cole Reaction Expandable Computer Compatible Messenger Bag
You will be very pleased with the quality of this messenger bag. It’s made of rich, top-grain Nappa leather and features a full length zipper pocket under the front flap for storing small items such as ink pens, gum and more. The interior expands to hold up to a 15.4” laptop, and it has an interior cellphone pocket, as well as other small storage pockets inside.
You will step out in style, when you step out carrying this Kenneth Cole Reaction Expandable Computer Compatible Messenger Bag.
You will be the envy of the town when people see you sporting your stylish Kenneth Cole messenger bag. You will appreciate the soft feel of the leather, too, and the color is classic and goes well with everything.
Carry your laptop and more in style every day and everywhere you go!
Click For Pricing and Product Reviews
Cenzo Italian Leather Messenger Bag
Two front gusset pockets will hold a calculator, cellphone, or other comparable sized items. The roomy interior features two large areas that will hold small laptops, tablets and more. There are also pen holders and a small cellphone holder inside. The back of this Italian leather messenger bag features a full length zipper for more storage, as well.
The gorgeous brown Italian calf-skin leather is top-of-the line in quality and style. Professional business men are sure to appreciate this messenger bag. They will proudly carry it to meetings, business lunches and more!
This is one of the nicest messenger bags being reviewed here today. You’ll be proud to carry this bag and to give it as a gift. This is something you’ll love having in your collection, and you’ll probably pass it down to the next generation.
This bag is full of sophistication and quality that is like none other!
Click for Pricing and Product Reviews
Retro Leather Canvas Messenger Bag
Take this bag with you to school, the gym or a day at your child’s sporting events. This retro leather canvas messenger bag is also a great choice for hikers, bikers, campers and others who enjoy outdoor activities.
The thick canvas material will take a beating and offer you many years of use. You’ll enjoy this as a book bag and so much more! It even holds a 14” laptop.
Camping trips, boat trips and more will be even more enjoyable when your things are organized and easy to find. Carry this messenger bag with you everyday, too, to make your life easier and more pleasurable.
This bag features a short handle and a removable shoulder strap to offer you more than one option of carrying it. It has a weathered look that is so fashionable and fun!
Canvas is a great fabric for active men and casual use. The leather gives is a classy touch that you’ll enjoy, too.
Click for Pricing and Product Reviews
Kattee Canvas + Leather Casual Cross Body Messenger Bag
Use it on the construction site, take it with you when you go fishing or use it as a carry-on bag when you travel.
Others might prefer to use it as a book bag for high school or college, or a gym or sports bag.
This multipurpose messenger bag is made of durable fabric and features many exterior storage compartments to keep you organized and happy.
You have the option of using the shorter double handles or the removable shoulder strap when carrying this bag.
The rugged look and feel of this bag is very cool. You don’t have to worry about getting this one dirty or tossing it on the floor. It will withstand harsh treatment and still stay looking good!
This messenger bag makes a great gift for any active man in your life!
Click for Pricing and Product Reviews
Advantages of Buying A Messenger Bag
There are many advantages of buying a messenger bag, some of which include organization, style and convenience. Men today are busier than ever, and many are juggling children, work and play. A messenger bag helps you to keep your essentials organized and safe. You will be able to tote your electronics, children’s toys, extra clothing and more all in one convenient place.
The type of messenger bag you choose also says a lot about your style, so choose wisely. Do you want to be seen as a serious guy on the go or a casual guy around town? You might even want to have a few different messenger bags that serve different purposes in your life. One for work and one for play.
A messenger bag tells the world that you like to be organized wherever you go, and that you’re a man who knows what you like and what you want.
Messenger bags are hip and in style for men of all ages. You have the benefits of organization for printed materials, electronic devices and more, as well as looking cool and sophisticated.
The Ultimate Men’s Messenger Bag Buying Guide
Originally designed to carry books and documents, messenger bags have evolved to do a lot more these days. Today, you can easily fit a laptop, iPad, textbooks among other daily utilities inside them. On top of that, they’ve nowadays become a unique and distinct part of our style. If anything, more of a fashion statement in recent times. So whether you are working in a busy office, travelling lightly or looking for something to carry your laptop to school with, you can be sure there’s a messenger bag for you.
Messenger bags trace their roots back to the Roman age as part of their soldier’s armor. The pouch/bag was worn on the body with a long strap running across the body. It was categorized by a leather build, a flap to secure the contents and a smaller strap to fasten the flap. During the late medieval times, the designed was improved to include protective linings that shielded the contents from water and dust. To date, the essential features remains largely unchanged.
When there was a need to carry many more items than could fit inside a wallet such as documents and in recent time e-readers, iPads alongside other things. This led to the need to create a single and compact bag to easily and comfortably carry out the task. The modern bag is characterized by waterproof interiors, better construction, newer fabrics such as Kevlar and rip-stop nylon, lightweight and more efficient designs and improved hardware.
Now that you’ve decide to get a messenger bag, a couple of things you should consider: First you’ll need to decide which material to get depending on your needs. There are various types of materials which we will be discussing about shortly in detail but first a quick look at the best suited materials for your various needs.
- An Everyday Bag such as a student bag or office bag is best suited by canvas or leather material. These bags are often characterized by large and sturdy builds, not to mention a flap to protect contents from weather. Some may carry padded laptop compartments.
- A Travel Bag– Best suited by any material as long as it meets the other criteria. Be sure to check for a lightweight material, compact and fairly stylish.
- Briefcase Substitute– Best suited with a traditional look complemented by genuine leather or heavy canvas. Come with a classic style and a rather sturdy strap.
- Stylish Bag– These come in any material as long as it’s compact, stylish and fancy looking. If you are looking for a bag with an edge in fashion, then these are a perfect choice.
- A Laptop Bag- The most distinguishing feature is that they come with a padded laptop compartment and some with a dedicated tablet slot. Mostly made of nylon, leather and sometimes rubber.
Next thing you’ll want to consider is the material. The material of a messenger bag determines its price, durability, style and purpose. With that in mind, there are two main types of material: Natural and Man-Made. Natural material such as leather comes with a classic and traditional look. Man-made fibers, on the other hand, mostly house an urban or metropolitan theme making them perfect for men looking for an emphatic fashion statement.
So why is choosing the right material so important? Let’s take a look at their differences.
Different Materials and their Uses
Tips on Buying the Perfect Messenger Bag
Now that you know which material to choose, I’ll take you through some quick tips on buying the perfect and reliable messenger bag.
- Be sure to examine the bag’s interior: While a plastic interior may look great, they are usually less durable and reliable than a fabric interior. An even better choice is the combination of both, where the plastic is sandwiched between fabric.
- If you’ll be frequently moving, it’s best to get a bag with two front closures than one flap closure to make sure you items remain intact.
- Double stitching, straight seams and well-attached trims are all hallmarks of great workmanship which in turn leads to a longer lifetime.
- Make use of the adjustable straps to make your life a lot easier. You are advised to pack the heaviest things closest to your back to ease the strain on your back.
There are tons of other stuff you can check before buying a bag such as online reviews and even inquire about warranty.